Real men don't cry. Why? Where did the stereotype start? Greek culture? The base of western civilisation
Marion McGuire - printmaker, find examples of her work that are specifically greek/maori mythology. Blog 3 of these.
Talk about them and try and establish a relationship between them and your ideas so far. This is a starting point.
Ana’s painting from last year is influential to him
Likes the flow from one image to another - as a way of linking multiple pieces of work
Bullying, trees, sky, people, poor people, defining love. Why are there no references to samoan standards of beauty?
- Rene Magritte
- Salvador Dali
Find examples of their work that you like. make sure you put the title and date of their work. post them on your blog and say why you have chosen these images as starting points
Draw out some ideas as thumbnail sketches, next week we will discuss these in class and what to do next
Interviews with Painters February 2016 - folio direction. 2 classes done at this point, 2 to come.
was meant to read the comment on her blog and act… is now doing so
Cartoon illustrations of girls, tvs and cameras, being controlled, hypnosis, tv with the swirls, being drawn in, a girl being controlled having to make a choice, as to which path to take, feelin glike she has to fit in, not sure what to do.
- strong narrative
- references to pop art
- 1950’s iconography
- Miss van - graffiti cartoon figures
- graphic novel approach
Hype around the earthquakes, abandonment in the red zone. Is the media hyping things up
- Understand how the media can blow things out of proportion
- Antonio hall near Riccarton - there are tours available. check it out.
- Find an example online of media making more of a story than was there, try and relate it back to red zoned housing and earthquakes in chch.
- Can you get out to the east with DAD to take photos of an abandoned property? Even spaces where houses used to be and are no longer?
- Mrs Clemence can go out NEXT weekend too.
-Archealogical dig element to this, looking at ruins?